The Malvern Autumn Show in partnership with Westons Cider Visitor Centre is putting cider production at the ‘core’ of this year’s show.
Malvern Autumn Show once again welcomes the Westons Cider Bar for guests to sample award-winning ciders whilst enjoying the show. Here our top ten cider facts…
- There are over 350 varieties of cider apples in the UK – almost one for every day of the year!
- 56% of apples grown in the UK are used to make cider
- Westons produce over 40 million litres of cider a year
- It is said that you “plant a Cider Apple for old age” and “a Perry pear for an heir.”
- Farmworkers wages historically included four pints of cider a day!
- Westons cider was established in 1880 and they press all of their own fruit
- Popular Old Rosie cider is named after the Westons Old Rosie steam engine
- The cider industry is booming with 250 British cider makers in the UK employing almost 11,000 people!
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Modern science has confirmed this old belief. Cider apples are high in dietary fibre, vitamin C, carotenoids-the latter now recognised as a useful protect against illnesses
- In the 14th century infants were being baptised in cider until the church banned the practice. (likelihood the cider was safer than the water)
The Malvern Autumn Show takes place on Saturday 23 September and Sunday 24 September. Tickets are now on sale and are cheaper in advance. Family tickets (2 adults, 3 children aged between 5 – 15 years) are priced at £37 when purchased in advance and £47 on the gate. Individual advanced tickets are priced at £16 for adults and £5 for children and on the gate at £20 for adults and £7 for children. Group and concession tickets are available.
For information, please visit www.malvernautumn.co.uk or call 01684 584924.